LAPAROSCOPIC FUNDOPLICATION (FOR GERD/REFLUX)
Laparoscopic Fundoplication for GERD & Hiatal Hernia Surgery
What is GERD?
GERD stands for Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroesophageal reflux is the return of the stomach’s contents back up into the esophagus.
What is Hiatal Hernia / Hiatus Hernia / Stomach Hernia?
Normally stomach is situated inside the abdomen while the oesophagus is inside the thorax (chest cavity ). In some cases upper part of stomach is pushed into the thorax, the condition is called Hiatal/ Hiatus Hernia, which has symptoms same as GERD. There are two main types of hiatal hernias: sliding hernia ( The stomach and the section of the esophagus that joins the stomach slide up into the chest through the hiatus).and paraesophageal (The esophagus and stomach stay in their normal locations, but part of the ,stomach squeezes through the hiatus, landing it next to the esophagus).
What are GERD/ Hiatal hernia symptoms?
- A burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), sometimes spreading to your throat, along with a sour taste in your mouth.
- Chest pain.
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Dry cough.
- Hoarseness or sore throat.
- Regurgitation of food or sour liquid (acid reflux)
- Sensation of a lump in your throat
What are the complications of GERD?
- Narrowing of the esophagus (esophageal stricture)
- An open sore in the esophagus (esophageal ulcer)
- Precancerous changes to the esophagus (Barrett’s esophagus)
What is the treatment of GERD & period of recovery?
Medical treatment with drugs in early cases and Surgery (Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication & / Hiatal Repair) in late stages. Operative Recovery time is 3-5 days
How Laparoscopic Fundoplication Surgery is performed (Surgical Procedure)?
It is performed under general anaesthesia making small key holes in the abdomen through which the telescope and thin & long instruments are introduced and surgery is performed by seeing inside of the abdomen on a TV monitor.
What are different types of Fundoplication Surgery?
- Nissen Fundoplication (complete fundoplication)
- Toupet Fundoplication (Partial fundoplication)
- Dor Fundoplication (Anterior fundoplication)
What is the surgical treatment of hiatal hernia?
It is Fundoplication for smaller hernia and in addition repair of hiatal defect by sutures or prosthetic material in cases of large hiatal hernias
What is the cost of surgery?
Please fill the enquiry form.